Skype and Zoom
What is Skype?
Skype is a telecommunications application that specializes in providing video chat and voice calls between computers … via the Internet. Skype also provides instant messaging services. Users may transmit text, video, audio and images.Wikipedia
The Skype software application is free. It runs on Windows and Mac computers and is a built-in application in Windows 10.
What is Zoom?
[Zoom] provides videotelephony and online chat services through a cloud-based peer-to-peer software platform and is used for teleconferencing, telecommuting, distance education, and social relations.Wikipedia
Zoom client software runs on Windows and Mac computers. Zoom client software will be installed on your computer the first time you join a Zoom meeting.
Why Skype or Zoom?
Either Skype or Zoom provides a means of remote distance learning from your home or anywhere in the world. You can take your music lessons via the Internet instead of in person at the school.
- A computer with Skype or Zoom client software installed.
- Computer accessories including a web camera and audio output via either speakers or headphones. The camera should be preferably high-resolution that produces clear video and can be aimed at your hands to allows the instructor to see what your hands are doing.
- A high-speed or broadband connection to the Internet.
Enrollment Requirements for Skype or Zoom Lesson Delivery
- Prepay your lessons. Ipad and Iphone users can use ApplePay. Everyone can use PayPal.
- Remote lesson rates via Skype or Zoom are $35 per half-hour and $65 per hour. Better rates are available on bulk payments of 4 or 5 lessons.
- Allow sufficient time for payments to clear and the school to be notified of your payment. You will be notified by the school when your payment is received.
- In order to maintain a steady lesson schedule, regular advance payments should be made, allowing sufficient time for processing and notification.
If using ApplePay to pay for your lessons, please contact Kumu Alan Akaka to make initial arrangements.
If using PayPal to pay for your lessons you must have a verified PayPal account. To sign up, see the PayPal website.
- Once payment has been cleared, a time will be scheduled for the first lesson that is agreeable to both the student and the school.
- Please let the school know which remote software you plan to use.
- The school will email you your Skype connection name or Zoom connection information. If using Skype, you are responsible for initiating the Skype call.
- Be sure to test your connection prior to each session.
- An email account should be open throughout the lesson, preferably one that can receive .mp3 files, .pdf files and .zip files as needed.
- Playing together successfully is dependent on robust and effective connection speeds and might not be possible at all times.
- Poor remote connections can sometimes be rectified by ending and reinitiating the connection.
- Time management is important, so students are requested to stay focused throughout the lesson. The instructor will manage the lesson time as appropriate.
Canceling and Rescheduling Remote Lessons
- Once allocated, remote lesson time slots belong to the student and under normal circumstances cannot be assigned to anyone else. It is difficult to reschedule a cancelled lesson, and if the lesson cannot be rescheduled, the lesson will be forfeited.
- Requests to reschedule a remote lesson must be made at least 48 hours in advance. The school reserves the right to reschedule the lesson or to have it forfeited. Please see Making Up Private Lessons on the School Policies and Protocols page.
Tips for a Productive Skype or Zoom Lesson
- Have all materials, audio files, instrument and equipment ready.
- Set the webcam so the instructor can see your instrument fretboard as required.
- Maintain focus on the lesson.